JOB DESCRIPTION FOR ATHLETIC TRAINER
TITLE: Athletic Trainer
SCHOOL: Notre Dame Prep High School
DEPARTMENT(S): Athletics, Physical Education
REQUIREMENTS: Maintain current certification and continuing education requirements as set forth by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification. Maintain current state licensure in accordance with the Arizona Board of Athletic Trainer Examiners. Maintain current certification in CPR/Emergency Cardiac Care.
REPORTS TO: Athletic Director
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Provides athletic trainer coverage for NDP school athletic programs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The athletic trainer will practice said profession with the parameters of the Arizona Athletic
Trainers Association and will follow both the Standards of the Practice Code of Ethics as set forth by the National Athletic Trainers Association. These duties are based on the needs of the school and athletic programs. The athletic trainers’ duties, enumerated in this document should not be considered all-inclusive. The Athletic Director, as necessary, shall modify duties. The athletic trainer will be present at home athletic contests and practices and shall attend other post-season and home-hosted contests as directed by the Athletic Director.
- Establish an effective athletic training program for high school athletics.
- Provide First Aid and injury assessment/treatment/rehabilitation/conditioning for Notre Dame athletes. The athletic trainer will also be responsible for making appropriate physician and physical therapy referrals.
- Provide coverage at home events and practices from the beginning of the Fall sport season to the conclusion of summer activities.
- Coordinate the annual required physicals and supervise the clearance of injured athletes prior to and during the season of sports.
- Maintain a line of communication with the team physician(s) regarding athletic health care and recommended treatment/rehabilitation for all athletic injuries.
- Assist coaching staff in evaluating and implementing sport specific conditioning programs and methods.
- Maintain an effective and efficient athletic training room.
- Maintain communication with parents on the care and treatment of their student-athlete.
- File all necessary reports associated with athletic injuries and or incidents.
- Maintain a daily treatment log.
- Oversee the ordering of supplies and equipment pertaining to the athletic training room and maintain an up-to-date inventory. Provide the Athletic Director with an annual budget for supplies and equipment.
- Provide Impact testing for all NDP athletes.
- Equip each team with appropriate medical equipment for away events.
- Teach Sport’s Medicine classes as needed.
- Assist in the selection and fitting of protective equipment, including taping, fitting of helmets and shoulder pads.
- Create a safe playing environment by monitoring and controlling environmental risks.
- Share professional literature relative to athletic training with the coaching staff.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: 12-month employee
EVALUATION: Will be evaluated annually by the Athletic Director. Questions: contact Jason Levine.